We’re Agile and It is Chaos, Now What?
Webinar, $99 per person
Thursday, December 12th, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm, US Central Time
by Neil Potter, The Process Group
Are you using Agile/Scrum? Are you experiencing these problems?
- Sprints are overcommitted
- User stories are too ambiguous to implement
- The team can’t keep up with the changes
- There is no end in sight for the project
Software development teams move to Agile (Scrum) to get early customer feedback and deliver features incrementally. Adopting Agile can work out, but many teams end up in chaos and stay there. What is going on, and what can be done?
This four-hour webinar will cover the reasons your team arrived at this point, and specific actions that can be taken to improve performance while maintaining agility.
Overview (60 mins)
- A very short summary of Agile/Scrum
- Typical challenges teams face
- Why do teams get into chaos?
- Audience poll – causes of chaos
- What does it mean to be Agile without all of the buzzwords?
- A critical look at the Agile Manifesto and Principles
Backlogs (45 mins)
- A good backlog and a typical backlog
- Typical challenges: Messy, incomplete and ambiguous backlogs
- What else is missing in a backlog and how to fix it
- Q&A (15 mins)
Break (15 mins)
Release and Sprint Planning (30 mins)
- Scrum planning practices
- Typical challenges: Too much scope per sprint, surprises, and no end in sight
- What is missing in planning and how to fix it
- Q&A (5 mins)
Sprints (30 mins)
- Typical practices within a sprint
- Typical challenges: Defining “done,” necessary non-coding tasks, and pushing work to the next sprint
- Dealing with ugly release and sprint burndown data
- Are you using retrospective data?
Getting Beyond Agile (30 mins)
- Where did your pre-agile practices go to?
- Where to add practices and maintain Agile
- Dealing with fixed-price contracts (as a vendor and with suppliers)
- Hybrid Life cycles – must you be Agile everywhere?
Final Q&A (30 mins) of your pre-submitted questions
- Scrum Masters, Project Managers and team members wanting to live agile without the chaos
- Senior managers wanting to improve their group’s results when using Agile/Scrum
- Attendance is $99/person by credit card via a secure pay site (Eventbrite and PayPal — a PayPal account is not needed)
- When you register, you will be sent a confirmation, and later, a webinar link
- Cancellation two weeks before the webinar for a full refund — contact us
- The value of $99: Learning one thing that saves 1-2 hours per week (e.g., avoid one bug or problem) returns 40-80 hrs/yr.
Invite your colleagues to register
- Generate an email, “Subject: Here’s a useful session on implementing Agile while avoiding chaos” Quick email link
- Attend free: Get $20 back for every person you get to register and attend (no limit)
About the instructor
Neil Potter is co-founder of The Process Group, a company formed in 1990 that consults on Agile/Scrum, requirements, leadership, software engineering, process improvement, CMMI, and project management.
He has 32 years of experience in software and process engineering. Neil is a Certified Scrum Master, CMMI-Institute certified lead appraiser for SCAMPI appraisals, CMMI instructor (development and services) and Six Sigma Greenbelt. He has a B.Sc. in Computer Science from the University of Essex (UK) and is the co-author of Making Process Improvement Work – A Concise Action Guide for Software Managers and Practitioners, and Making Process Improvement Work for Service Organizations, Addison-Wesley.
If you are not satisfied with the session, contact us for a refund.
Please contact us.