Doing Software Requirements
Beyond Ambiguous One-liners
+ Getting Developers, BAs & Testers to Work Efficiently Together
A 90-minute webinar, by Neil Potter
$49/person — includes having your requirements questions answered during/after the session
Friday, February 12th, 10:30 am – 12:00 pm, US Central Time
Requirements form the foundation for all software work that follows. Arriving at a shared vision of the product to be developed is one of the greatest challenges facing a software project team.
The objective of this webinar is to give attendees a tool kit of skills to improve the efficiency and quality of their requirements practices.
Common problems encountered by teams include:
- No requirements
- Ambiguous one-liners that are almost useless
- Requirements that only touch on one aspect of user needs
- Business analysts, developers and testers that communicate only by passing documents to each other
- Unmanaged changes that blow the schedule
This session is for teams using Agile, Waterfall or some other life cycle. We will talk about requirements in both Agile and non-Agile worlds.
- Requirements: definition, backlog and specs.
- Fear of accountability & visibility.
- Ambiguous one-line user stories.
- Calling everything a user story (requirement, task, bug, to-do).
- Eliciting requirements — questions to ask.
- Capturing non-user story requirements — there are more types.
- User stories vs. Use cases — when and where to use.
- Getting developers and testers to work together on testable requirements.
- Adding and organizing details.
- Dealing with existing specs.
- Doing requirements incrementally and/or upfront.
- Managing changes.
- Dealing with yucky fixed-price contracts.
- Q&A: We will collect your requirements questions before the session and answer them at the Q&A time. Questions that don’t fit in the webinar time will be answered with you offline.
- Business analysts, Scrum masters, product owners, project leaders and team members who want to improve their requirements practices.
- Senior managers wanting to improve their group’s efficiency and quality.
- Attendance is $49/person by credit card via a secure pay site (EventGrid)
- When you register, you will be sent a webinar link
- Cancel anytime before the webinar for a refund — contact us
- There is a limit of 50 attendees
Invite your colleagues to register
- Generate an email to your colleague! Subject: Here’s a useful session on requirements] Quick Link
Date not good?
If you would like this session as a custom workshop for your group at an earlier or later date, please contact us and we will be happy to set up an event at our webinar consulting rate. A full 2-day workshop is also available.
About the instructor
Neil Potter is co-founder of The Process Group, a company formed in 1990 that consults on Scrum, requirements, leadership, software engineering, process improvement, CMMI, and project management.
He has 28 years of experience in software and process engineering. Neil is a Certified Scrum Master, CMMI-Institute certified lead appraiser for SCAMPI appraisals, Intro to CMMI instructor (development and services) and Six Sigma Greenbelt. He has a B.Sc. in Computer Science from the University of Essex (UK) and is the co-author of Making Process Improvement Work – A Concise Action Guide for Software Managers and Practitioners, Addison-Wesley (2002), and Making Process Improvement Work for Service Organizations, Addison-Wesley (2012).
If you are not satisfied with the session, just contact us for a refund.